Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
Prince Sultan bin Salman bin Abdulaziz, the Secretary General of the Saudi Commission for Tourism and Antiquities (SCTA) since the establishment of the Commission in 2000, was born in Riyadh on the 27th of June, 1956.
Masters Degree in Social and Political Science, the Maxwell School of Citizenship and Public Affairs – Syracuse University, USA 1999
In 1982 he joined the Ministry of Information as Researcher for the Department of International Information. In 1984 he served as Deputy Director of the Saudi Media Committee for the Los Angeles Olympics, and was appointed the same year as Acting Director to establish newly formed Department of Advertising at the Ministry.
In 1985 Prince Sultan joined the crew of the Space Shuttle Discovery as Payload Specialist on its Mission STS 51G. Shortly afterwards, he joined the Royal Saudi Air Force as a pilot, from which he retired in 1996 with the rank of Colonel.
Prince Sultan is active in many charitable and humanitarian organizations, as well as being an avid pilot and skier.
Official Memberships and Positions
- The Saudi Commission for Tourism and Antiquities (SCTA) http://www.sct.gov.sa
- Member of the Board of Directors (BOD)
- Chairman of the Executive Committee.
- Chairman of the Steering Committee for the National Tourism Development Strategy and the Five-Year Plan.
- Chairman of the Management Committee.
- Chairman of the Steering Committee for the National Project for Tourism Human Resources Development.
- Chairman of the Ministerial Steering Committee for the Development and Tourism Destination Economic Projects.
- Chairman of E-Government Transaction Committee.
- Chairman of the Advisory Committee for Antiquities and Museums.
- Presidency of Civil Aviation. http://www.pca.gov.sa
- Member of the BOD & Executive Committee.
Other Memberships and Positions
The Disabled Children’s Association (DCA) http://www.dca.org.sa
Chairman of the Board of Directors.
Chairman of the Executive Committee.
Founder and Chairman of The Prince Sultan bin Salman Holy Quran Award for the Disabled Children.
Chairman of the Steering Committee for the 1st, 2nd and 3rd (Planned from March 2009) Saudi Conference for Disability.
Founder and Chairman of Al-TURATH (Heritage) Foundation. http://www.al-turath.com
Chairman of the Corporate Social Responsibility Committee, Riyadh Chamber of Commerce. http://www.riyadhchamber.com/index.php
Founder and Chairman of “Prince Sultan bin Salman Award for Architectural Heritage”
High Commission for the Development of ArRiyadh. http://www.arriyadh.com
Chairman of the Planning Committee for Al-Dir’Iyyah Development Project
Member of the High Commission for the Development of Al-Dir’iyyah Historical Site
Chairman of the Executive Committee for Riyadh Science Center
Member of the Board– Model Learning Institute of the Capital. http://www.mci-riyadh.8m.com
Founder & BOD Chairman and Head of Executive Committee of the Saudi Aviation Club. http://www.sac.com
Chairman of Board of Trustees – Prince Salman Foundation for Disability Research. http://www.pscdr.org.sa
Honorary Chairman of the Saudi Society for Aerospace Sciences. http://engg.kau.edu.sa/SSAS/
Honorary Chairman - Prince Sultan bin Abdulaziz Environmental Center, Al Ghat/Riyadh Province.
- Certified Civil, Airline and Transport Pilot with over 6,000 flight hours on various type of military and civil aircrafts, gliders and helicopter.
- Presidency of Civil Aviation, KSA since 1978
- Federal Aviation Administration (FAA), USA since 1978
- French Pilot License, France since 2005
Awards & Recognitions
- 1985 King Abdulaziz Sash –Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.
- 1985 Certificate of Appreciation – The Lyndon B. Johnson Space Center – National Aeronautics and Space Administration - USA
- 1985 Space Flight Medal – NASA - USA
- 1985 Officier de la Légion D'honneur – Republic of France
- 1985 Massachusetts State House Resolution commending the Historical Achievement as the First Arab Astronaut - USA
- 1985 First Class Republic Medal -Republic of Tunisia
- 1985 First Class Medal of the Kingdom of Bahrain - Kingdom of Bahrain
- 1986 Order of the Star of Jordan of the 1st Class - Kingdom of Jordan
- 1986 Crescent of Courage Medal-1 – Islamic Republic of Pakistan
- 1986 Certificate of Appreciation for Leading the Arab World into the Space Era – American-Arab Anti-Discrimination Committee - USA
- 1986 Key to the City of Los Angeles – State of California - USA
- 1986 Key to the City of Dallas – State of Texas - USA
- 1986 Honorary Doctorate Degree in Science - King Fahd University of Petroleum and Minerals – Saudi Arabia
- 1987 Order of Brilliant Star with Special Grand Cordon – Republic of China
- 1987 Merit Medal of the First Class – State of Kuwait
- 1987 Golden Medal for Science & Literature – Republic of Sudan
- 1987 Order of Independence of the First Class – UAE
- 1987 National Art Medal – Republic of Lebanon
- 1987 The Order of Sultan Qaboos - Sultanate of Oman
- 1987 Sash of Independence – State of Qatar
- 1987 Order of Merit of the First Class – Republic of Yemen
- 1987 Air Force Service Order – Republic of Iraq
- 1987 Order of the Throne – Kingdom of Morocco
- 1987 Order of Military Honor - Syrian Arab Republic
- 1988 Commandeur de l’Ordre de la Grande Étoile de Djibouti - Republic of Djibouti
- 1993 Kuwait Liberation Medal – Saudi Arabia
- 1993 Order of Liberation of the Second Class – State of Kuwait
- 1993 Order of Honor – for the participation in the liberation of Kuwait – State of Kuwait
- 1997 Certificate of Appreciation - In honor of its 20th Anniversary and in recognition of outstanding support to the Institute - Space Studies Institute, Princeton, USA
- 1998 Man of the Year 1997 - In recognition of contributions to the Disabled -Al Majallah Magazine 1997
- 1999 Certificate of Appreciation - for outstanding leadership and inspiration dedicated to improving the quality of life for the mentally and physically challenged - Temple University School of Pediatric Medicine, USA
- 2003 Honorary Plaque as one of the Leading Personalities in the Arab Tourism Sector – Arab World Tourism and Travel Exhibition - Lebanon.
- 2004 Man of the Year 2003 Award in the field of Information Technology in the Kingdom conferred by ITP Co.
- 2005 Order of Al-Hussain of the First Class – bestowed by His Majesty King Abdullah II - Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan, in recognition of extraordinary efforts in the field of humanitarian efforts especially towards the disabled.
- 2007 Riyadh Chamber of Commerce and Industry in award recognition of social services in the field of charitable endowments
- 2007 Government Sector Implementation of the Year of the ACN Award-Arab Computer News Magazine issued by ITP Co.
Affiliations & Memberships
- Professional Association of Diving Instructors (PADI)
- Founding Member and BOD Member of the Association of Space Explorers (ASE) - USA
- Member of the National Geographic Society - USA
- Member of the Aircraft Owners & Pilot Association - USA
- Honorary Member of the Saudi Management Association.
- Founding Member of the Saudi Environment Society.
- Voluntary Member of the Saudi Red Crescent Society.
- Saudi Commission for Tourism and Antiquities (SCTA) Awards & Recognitions
- "Cultural and Heritage of Saudi Arabia" film won major awards in the US International Film & Video Festival in 2004, 2005 and 2006.
- 2006 ORACLE International Award for innovation in managing public resources on the national level.
- 2006 ICDL Award for the best public sector in e-government applications.
- 2007 ISO (2000.9001) Award for Administrative Systems & Procedures.
- 2008 Government Sector Applications of the Year Award granted by the ACN Award Magazine – Arab Computer News issued by ITP World Company – as the best public sector for electronic applications in Arab Countries.
- 2008 Ulysses Award for Innovation in Tourism 2008